‘I don’t want to play here!’ erratic Daniil Medvedev claims first ever Madrid victory
Daniil Medvedev has finally secured his first career win at the Madrid Open by overcoming Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in the second round.
Daniil Medvedev made progress on improving his clay form by defeating the young Spaniard 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a little over two hours to reach the third round of the Madrid Masters.
The win is Medvedev’s first on clay since April 2019, a streak spanning six consecutive losses on the surface. He entered Madrid with an 0-2 win/loss record, while he stills holds an 0-2 and 0-4 record at Rome and Roland Garros respectively.
Medvedev has openly admitted his ambivalence about playing on clay, and certainly let his feelings show throughout the contest, at one point exclaiming “I don’t want to play here on this surface!” at a change of ends. However, on winning the contest he signed the tv camera lens “Love clay :)”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 5, 2021
Daniil Medvedev will face world No. 25 Cristian Garin in the third round of the Madrid Masters.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner