‘I am torn between happiness and sadness,’ admits Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic says his year-end world number one this year is tinged with sadness due to the coronavirus crisis.
Djokovic has achieved an incredible piece of history this year, winning the year-end world number one for a record-equalling sixth time.
However, with so much of the season cancelled due to the coronavirus and so many of his lower ranked ATP colleagues struggling financially as a result, as well as the suffering around the world, Djokovic says he has ‘mixed feelings’ over his accomplishment.
“Obviously very fulfilling, I’m very proud and overwhelmed with joyful and happy emotions,” Djokovic said to an empty O2 Arena after receiving his award.
“It’s a team effort, I probably couldn’t have done it without the team, the support and trust I have from them, the love and support I have from my family. I try not to take that for granted.
“I’m very grateful to all of them. I am happy but at the same time I have a bit of a mix of emotions.
“This year has been very different. There was a six-month gap between tournaments because of this virus and a lot of people around the world have been experiencing hard times so my heart goes to all of them.
“That’s why I’m a bit torn with being happy and also being sad.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner