‘I am sure Roger Federer will play on for a couple more years,’ says ATP star
Kei Nishikori says he is ‘sure’ Roger Federer will play for another couple of years and he hopes he plays him again.
Federer will be 40-years-old in August, although the fact he has just spent more than a year fighting back to fitness from injury suggests he is not planning an imminent retirement.
Nishikori has played Federer 11 times before, although the only final in which they have met was their first meeting in 2011 at Basel.
When asked who his dream Masters final would be against, though, Nishikori didn’t have to think for long before delivering his answer.
“I would play Roger because he is my idol”, Nishikori told atptour.com.
“If we can play a couple more times, it would be great because it is just fun to play against him.”
“You get many experiences from [playing] Roger Federer.
“I am sure he is going to play a couple more years. Before he retires, I want to play him a couple more times.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner