‘I am inspired by Novak Djokovic,’ admits Dominic Thiem as he explains recent tiebreak success
Dominic Thiem says he is ‘inspired’ by the success Novak Djokovic enjoys in tiebreaks, adding that he hopes to replicate the formula.
Thiem won the US Open last month – his maiden Grand Slam title – by virtue of edging a fifth-set tiebreak against Alexander Zverev.
In total, he played and won four tiebreaks en-route to the title in New York, and he has lifted the lid on his recent success.
“I am inspired by Novak Djokovic, he is incredible on the decisive games,” Thiem explained.
“He tries to avoid easy mistakes to make during those tiebreaks .
“I try to be fully focused, even more than in a normal round, so as not to make any silly mistakes.
“This is where it is very important, because the tie-off is always very close.”
Djokovic has played 398 tiebreaks in his career, winning 259 of them – a success rate of 65.08%.
Of all active players o the ATP Tour, only Roger Federer (65.29%) has a better conversion rate in tiebreaks.
Thiem, meanwhile, has won just 53% of his 206 tiebreaks in his career so far, although he will rightly say he won the one that mattered the most.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner