‘I am a bit strange,’ admits Rafael Nadal as he discusses rare talent
Rafael Nadal has admitted he is ‘a little bit strange’ in the way he plays tennis left-handed and golf right-handed.
Although Nadal is perhaps the finest left-handed tennis player in history, it is actually the only thing he does in his life with his left.
Every-day activities he does right-handed, and it was highlighted in a recent golf tournament in Mallorca that his swing was right-handed too.
Ambidextrous sportspeople are not as uncommon as you think, with many cricketers, including West Indian great Curtly Ambrose who batted left-handed but bowled with his right. Current England cricketer Stuart Broad is the same.
In terms of the tennis world, Maria Sharapova is able to play on both sides, and Korean Cheong-Eui Kim plays without a backhand at all, simply changing his racket hand if necessary and using forehands exclusively.
Nadal, though, admits he is something of an absurdity.
“For me, it’s (the stroke in golf) like a backhand,” Nadal told Marca.
“I started playing golf when I was at the age of 17 or 18, and naturally I started playing with my right hand.
“I’m a little bit strange in all of that. I eat and play basketball with the right, I play tennis and football with the left. It’s a bit strange.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner