How would the ATP Rankings look without the protected points system?
With many top players voicing their thoughts about the current COVID-influenced ATP Rankings, Tennishead looks at what the top-10 would be based on raw points won.
A number of players, including Andrey Rublev, Alexander Zverev and Denis Shapovalov, have recently spoken their mind about the current ATP Rankings system. The adapted system gives a number of protections to players who are unable or unwilling to compete due to the COVID pandemic.
Under the system, points won in 2019 and 2020 can be retained and are protected to an extent. However, it means the system right now does not necessarily paint the clearest picture on the most in-form players.
Below is how the ATP top-10 would look compared to the official ATP Rankings
ATP Top-10 Based on Raw Points
|Rank||Player||Points||Postion Shift from Official ATP Rankings|
|3.||Andrey Rublev||3,825||↑ 5|
|6.||Alexander Zverev||3,115||↑ 1|
|8.||Diego Schwartzman||2,210||↑ 1|
|9.||Milos Raonic||1,505||↑ 10|
|10.||Pablo Carreno Busta||1,500||↑ 5|
Official ATP Top-10
While Djokovic and Medvedev are undisputed in the top two spots, players like Milos Raonic and Pablo Carreno Busta would reap great reward by breaking into the top-10, replacing Roger Federer and Matteo Berretini.
Andrey Rublev is a player who is on fire at the moment, having won four consecutive ATP 500 tournaments and reaching the quarter-finals of every Slam since the tour restarted. No other man or woman has done that. A raw points table would reflect that recent run of results, putting him at No. 3.
Finally, No. 11 and No. 12 on a raw points system would be filled by surprise Australian Open semi-finalist Aslan Karatsev and Italian rising star Jannik Sinner, currently raanked No. 42 and No. 32 respectively.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner