‘Hopefully I’ll down Nadal next time!’ declares challenger on recent battle
Facing Nadal is tough, far more so at the French Open, but this pro is ambitious about his chances when they next face each other.
Cameron Norrie is positive about coming up against the ‘King of Clay’ in the future, having put up an ultimately futile fight in Paris this year.
“To play him in his garden in Roland Garros, it’s not easy at all,” Norrie told the Evening Standard.
“I played a good match and still bowed out in straight sets, but it was a very cool experience to be playing him on his best surface when he’s playing some of his best tennis.
“Hopefully, I get him next time, although I just hope that next time isn’t too soon!”
Nadal dispatched the Brit 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 in the third round of Roland Garros, but Norrie has displayed impressive form so far in 2021, and is hoping to build on it into the grass season at Queen’s and Wimbledon.
“I’ve had some pretty tough draws in the last few years,” he explained. “That first match on grass is never easy. The courts tend to be very green and quick, and it’s quite difficult to move on.
“I definitely prefer the courts at Wimbledon — they’re a little bit slower. I know I can play well there, I just need to keep the momentum there and take care of everything that I can.
“It’s so special to play at Wimbledon, especially after not being able to play there with everything. I’m looking forward to being back.”
Cameron Norrie meets Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the first round of Queen’s to kick off their grass seasons.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner