‘He’s a monster,’ Kei Nishikori says Roger Federer could get back to winning Slams
Kei Nishikori recently spoke on the comeback of Roger Federer during his press conference after defeating Reilly Opelka in the first round of Dubai.
With his own comeback from injury underway, Kei Nishikori thinks that Roger Federer played at a solid level in Doha, considering it was his first tournament since the 2020 Australian Open.
‘He is a monster,’ he said of Federer. ‘In a good way,’ Nishikori added. ‘He played two solid matches, that was unexpected.’
Roger Federer made the quarter-finals in Doha before losing to eventual champion Nikoloz Basilashvili.
‘He played a pretty good game. Of course, having been one year off he was a little bit off, you know. But he still played great. Not everybody could do that.’
Nishikori also believes that Federer could get back to competing for Grand Slam titles again.
‘Hopefully, he can come back strong and we can play a couple of matches,’ he said. ‘I always enjoyed playing against him and I’m sure he can come back winning Slams again.’
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner