‘He’s a danger to top players,’ Medvedev wary of first Wimbledon opponent
Daniil Medvedev admits he has been handed a tough opening draw at Wimbledon after facing an opponent he recently suffered defeat against.
Following his Roland Garros campaign, the Russian went straight to Halle to get some grass court matches under his belt before losing in the first round to Jan-Lennard Struff – an opponent he faces once again at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
After the Halle disappointment, the 25-year-old decided to enter the Mallorca Open, a decision he certainly didn’t live to regret after beating Sam Querrey to win his first grass-court title.
“Winning the title just before a Grand Slam is always a good thing and I’m feeling 100 per cent fit physically,” Medvedev said. “I came to Mallorca trying to win some matches and managed to win the tournament.
“It was really important for the confidence to find out how you should play on grass and what you should do. The final was my best match there. I’m feeling confident coming here”.
Medvedev, now 26-7 for the season, believes that whilst the big-serving German is a ‘danger’, he is far more equipped to deal with the threat of his opponent.
“It’s definitely a tough draw. Jan is a tough opponent, especially on grass. He’s a danger to top players.
“He can beat top players and has proven it many times. What is positive is that in Halle I was far from my best level and I still had chances to close out the first set.
“If I show good tennis, it’s not going to be easy for him. If he shows good tennis and serves well, it’s not going to be easy for me. It can be a good match. Hopefully I can be the winner”.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner