‘He told me about the wonderful emotions’, Dominic Thiem hopes to emulate his coach at Olympics
Dominic Thiem is determined to make his mark in Tokyo after missing out on representing Austria at the Olympics in 2012 and 2016.
Thiem, who turned professional in 2011, did not compete at the London 2012 Olympics and decided against playing at the 2016 Rio Olympics due to scheduling.
The World No 3 finally experienced the Grand Slam winning feeling following his US Open victory earlier this year and is now hungry for success at the Olympics under his national flag.
Discussing his motivations for the upcoming Olympics, Thiem stated that he hopes to emulate the successes of his coach Nicholas Massu, who won gold in both the singles and the doubles events at the Athens Olympic Games in 2004.
“I am going to participate at the Olympic Summer Games in Tokyo starting on July 23!” Dominic Thiem said in a post on his official website.
“I have been thinking about it for a long period of time, and next year it eventually fits into my tournament schedule.
“I am looking forward to it to compete for a medal. My coach Nicolas Massu won two gold medals in Athens in 2004, he told me about the incredibly wonderful emotions.
“I want to feel these kind of emotions myself. For an athlete the atmosphere at the Olympics must be unique, I want to soak it all up.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner