Hanescu remorseful after spitting incident
Originally published on: 28/06/10 09:18
Victor Hanescu apologised for the spitting incident that marred his third-round Wimbledon exit at the hands of Daniel Brands.
The Romanian, who had already let a two-set lead and match points slip, lost his temper with a section of the crowd who were heckling him on Court 18 and appeared to spit in their direction before seeming to deliberately lose a service game. He retired, citing a leg injury, at 3-0 down in the final set.
In a statement, he said: “I would like to apologise to the fans, the AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) and everyone else for my behaviour last night at the end of my match against Daniel Brands.”
There was speculation Hanescu could be barred from returning to Wimbledon next year but he was today fined 7,500 US dollars (£4,979) for unsportsmanlike conduct and the same figure for “not using best efforts” at the conclusion of the match.
Hanescu, who earned £31,250 for making round three, added: “There were people in the crowd that had been insulting me since the beginning of the match. I was winning, had four match points in the third set, but unfortunately I could not close it out.
“Then I got a leg injury at the end of the fourth set. I lost my control briefly in the fifth set after another insult from someone in the crowd.
“I should never have done that but I am human and I made a mistake.”
Hanescu’s apology should draw a line under the incident. Considering his contrition it seems highly unlikely the 28-year-old will appeal against his punishment.
Wimbledon referee Andrew Jarrett had announced the financial penalty earlier on Saturday.
Jarrett said: “Following a review conducted by the Championships referee in association with the grand slam supervisors into the incident on Court 18, the player, Victor Hanescu, has been fined USD 7,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct and a further USD 7,500 for not using best efforts at the conclusion of the match.”