Halep remains on track
It was a flawless first set from Halep, however she was made to work hard in the second set by her talented opponent. Carla Suarez Navarro, who defeated Elena Vesnina 6-4 6-4, will provide the third seed with her next test.
“I played really well at the beginning,” said Halep. “Early in the second set I was pretty solid but she came back very strong and my energy levels went down a little. She was very strong at that point and her forehand is really good, so I can say that I’m really happy to have finished the second set from 5-3 down. It’s nice to be in Paris for the fourth round.”
Alizé Cornet defeated No.9 seed, Agnieszka Radwanska, for just the second time in nine attempts. The Frenchwoman used the dropshot to great effect as she broke her opponent’s serve seven times in the 79 minute contest.
“I don’t have any words, I am so happy,” said Cornet after her 6-2 6-1 win. “I work so hard year-round for moments like this. It’s been very difficult with my injury, so it makes it even sweeter to be here and through to the fourth round.
“I’d only beaten her once before. I knew it would be difficult but I couldn’t predict that I would beat her in straight sets in this amazing venue. I played really well. The manner of the victory was completely unexpected.”
Caroline Garcia became the third Frenchwoman to reach the round of 16 after a nerve-shredding 6-4 4-6 9-7 win over Hsieh Su-Wei. The 23 year-old is into the second week of Roland Garros for the first time and she will play Cornet in a spicy all-French affair next.
Caroline Wozniacki held her nerve to defeat teenager, Catherine Bellis, 6-2 2-6 6-3, to set up a fourth round meeting with Svetlana Kuznetsova. The match was stopped for fading light on Friday evening but the former world No.1 was clinical on the resumption.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner