Grigor Dimitrov retires from first round match at French Open
16th seed Grigor Dimitrov is out of the French Open in the first round after being forced to retire due to injury.
Grigor Dimitrov went from holding multiple match points in the third set to needing to withdraw due to injury in the fourth for an unceremonious 6-2, 6-4, 5-7, 0-3 ret. loss to American Marcos Giron.
Dimitrov led on Giron’s serve in the third set, 1-5, 0-40 with three match points, before eventually going on to lose the set 5-7 after taking a medical timeout.
With Giron up a break in the fourth set, the Bulgarian was visibly lethargic and uncomfortable. After Giron held for 3-0 in the third, Dimitrov sat on his bench for a few moments before standing up to speak to the umprie and retire form the match.
Dimitrov has been unfortunate during this year’s clay season, now holding a 3-5 win-loss record on the surface in 2021, and falling in the first round at each of the Madrid Masters, Italian Open and French Open.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner