Former Slam finalist forced into last-minute US Open withdrawal
The US Open campaign of a top pro has ended before it began as injury means they cannot take to the courts of Flushing Meadows.
Home hope and world number 14 Jennifer Brady made the decision not to play her match against British qualifier Emma Raducanu, citing injury.
The USTA has not released specifics about her ailment, but the news is not a big surprise. Brady had to retire from her second round match at the Cincinnati Open, a US Open warm-up event, when facing Latvian Jelena Ostapenko.
Coincidentally, Ostapenko also withdrew from her match for medical reasons.
Brady reached the US Open semi-finals in 2020 before going one step further at the 2021 Australian Open, falling to eventual champion Naomi Osaka on both occasions.
The news of her withdrawal means that Wimbledon sensation Raducanu will now face Swiss lucky loser Stefanie Vogele for a place in the second round.
Raducanu earned her right to compete in New York by coming through qualifying without the loss of a set.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner