Former Slam finalist applauds ‘Rocky-like’ Emma Raducanu triumph
A former top pro has drawn attention to the journey of Emma Raducanu as a qualifier in particular at the US Open.
The British teenager won ten matches including qualifiers to secure her US Open title, the first time any man or woman has won a singles Slam as a qualifier.
Raducanu has received praise from across the tennis world, including now from former British number one John Lloyd.
The 1977 Australian Open finalist was as shocked as any at Raducanu at the US Open, despite being aware of her talent before her wider public introduction at Wimbledon.
“I’ve always had a complaint about tennis in the movies,” Lloyd told talkRADIO. “I was in a very brief role in a film called ‘Players’.
“In the make-believe film, this chap…lost in the finals [after] coming from qualifying. [In the movie] he beat me in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon, which was good for me because that’s the best I ever did in the singles.
“But my point was that they wrote that script and I thought it was a ridiculous script. Then a few years later they had the movie ‘Wimbledon’.
“[In the movie] this guy comes from qualifying…I said “It’s nonsense. You’ve got to stop doing these ‘Rocky’ films about tennis. It doesn’t work like that.”
“And then Emma [Raducanu] goes and does exactly that! It was unbelievable.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner