Federer joining Murray in Glasgow
Federer has accepted the world No.1’s invitation to take part in Andy Murray Live at Glasgow’s SSE Hydro in November.
Murray had already committed to playing “The Match for Africa 3” for the Roger Federer Foundation at Zurich’s Hallenstadion in April. Now, the 18-time Grand Slam champion has agreed to return the favour and will play in Scotland for the first time in his career.
“I saw a little video where he was wearing a kilt when he was announcing that I was going to play in his event over in Switzerland,” Murray said. “He’s returning the favour in November. It’s really good he’s doing it. He said a few years ago he wants to go to places he’s not been. It’s great.”
Following the singles match against Federer, Murray will be joined by brother Jamie to take on Tim Henman and Mansour Bahrami in what is likely to be a lighthearted doubles contest.
The first Andy Murray Live event in September last year, which featured Grigor Dimitrov, raised more than £300,000 for charity. Proceeds from this year’s event will be split between Unicef and a local Scottish charity.
“Last year was such a fantastic night and to raise over £300,000 for Unicef and Young People’s Futures in our first year was amazing,” said Murray. “This year is going to be even bigger and better and I am so pleased to be able to bring Roger to play in Scotland for the first time – he will get a chance to see for himself just how enthusiastic Scottish fans are, and what a great venue the SSE Hydro is. It is also important for me to be able support Unicef again this year, and to help a different local charity as well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner