‘Federer is a legend’ – Norrie excited ahead of third round clash
Cameron Norrie will take on 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer tomorrow in third round of 2021 Wimbledon.
Federer defeated Richard Gasquet in straight sets on Centre Court last night with a strong performance, while Norrie recovered from early nerves to defeat Alex Bolt and book his place in round three for the first time in his career.
Their third round clash tomorrow will be their first meeting, with the Brit excited to share the court with Federer.
“I remember watching his epic Wimbledon matches with Nadal, I was probably playing under 14’s then, I remember staying up late to watch those. To share the court with him again, he is such a legend of the game and he’s still playing some really good and is very sharp out there.” the 25-year-old said.
Three British male players have reached the third round of Wimbledon for the first time since 1999. Dan Evans defeated Dusan Lajovic in round two, while Andy Murray won a five set thriller against German wildcard Oscar Otte.
“It’s obviously unbelievable to have three British guys in the third round, especially for Andy. I watched both his matches. He’s battled through some tough moments out there.”
“All credit to Evo. He’s playing great. He had a very comfortable win yesterday. All of us have good opportunities to go even further. It’s great that we’re all going deep, especially at Wimbledon.” Norrie added.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner