Federer confirms Montreal spot
Originally published on: 26/02/10 12:43
The Swiss had been expected to miss the event after wife Mirka gave birth to twin girls on July 23.
But Federer, who won the title in Canada in 2004 and 2006, has told tournament director Eugene Lapierre that he will play in the Masters 1000 event.
Lapierre told the tournament’s official website: “When I saw the Swiss area code come up on my phone, my heart stopped.
“We are obviously thrilled and we have 19 of the top 20 players in the world who have confirmed their participation.”
World number two Rafael Nadal has also flown out to Montreal and will play in his first event since the French Open more than two months ago.
The Spaniard has been receiving intensive treatment on the tendinitis in his knees and has admitted he is unsure how he will perform.
Nadal, who is the defending champion, told his official website: “I’m very happy to be back training and playing at a competitive level.
“I will do the best I can to get a good result. When you play, you always try to give a 100%. (But) I’m prepared to lose as well.”