EXCLUSIVE: ‘Swiatek favourite to win French Open’ declares Barbara Schett
Barbara Schett has backed defending champion Iga Swiatek to secure another French Open this year, the former pro Austrian stated in her exclusive interview with Tennishead.
A 19-year-old Iga Swiatek secured a stunning maiden Grand Slam title as she trampled all in her path to win the 2020 French Open without dropping a set.
With Ashleigh Barty back after not competing in 2020, the two most recent French Open champions will both be in the women’s draw for the tournament this year.
Former world No. 7 and Eurosport expert Barbara Schett believes that the Polish youngster has the edge going into the event.
“Yeah [it’s] going to be interesting to see. I think she is the favourite,” Schett said of Swiatek in her interview with us.
“It’s either Iga or Ashleigh Barty. I think the two of them have been showing their best tennis. Sabalenka you don’t want to rule out either but Iga and Ash are for me the favourites.
“Iga is young still and she works with a sports psychologist so I think she copes with pressure well and I do not think she’s going into Roland Garros thinking that there is a lot of pressure on her or that she has to win this title again.
“I think she’s showed now winning the title in Rome and the fashion that she did it that she’s certainly up there and I think she’s going to do well.”
Iga Swiatek secured her maiden WTA 1000 title in Rome by annihilating world No. 9 Karolina Pliskova 6-0, 6-0 in 46 minutes and for the loss of just 13 points.
It was only the second time a final has finished 6-0, 6-0 in the Open Era, the last being the 1988 French Open final when Steffi Graf defeated Natasha Zvereva.
Speaking further on the young Pole, Schett added this:
“She has the game and she’s such an all rounder especially on clay I love the variety she brings to the court and I think she can repeat her victory for sure.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner