‘Everything is coming together’, says Denis Shapovalov after Hurkacz win in Dubai
Denis Shapovalov reached the quarter-finals of the Dubai Tennis Championships after a 6-4, 6-3 win against Hubert Hurkacz.
The 21-year-old Canadian dropped just 11 points on serve, and had an impressive ratio of 26 winners to just nine unforced errors.
The world No. 12 will face Jeremy Chardy – who defeated Karen Khachanov in three sets – in the last eight.
“I definitely played some great tennis today,” said Shapovalov in an on-court interview.
“I’ve struggled with Hubert (Hurkacz) in the past, he’s such a great player and he’s got a lot of weapons so it’s definitely not easy to play against him.
“I think I’ve been playing really well and taking my chances and I was serving really well today.
“I definitely feel very mentally fresh, I made the decision of coming here this year and also just taking a break after Australia which really helped me.
“I was kind of able to get away from the bubble life and tennis in general, so coming back I’m definitely very fresh mentally, physically.
“I feel like I’m in great shape and everything is kind of coming together, so it’s a really good feeling.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner