‘Everyone says it’s only positive’ Auger-Aliassime assured with Toni Nadal
Felix Auger-Aliassime has great confidence in his decision to work with famed coach and Rafa’s uncle, Toni Nadal.
Felix Auger-Aliassime feels certain that a coaching partnership with Rafael Nadal’s relative and long-time coach should only bring about good things.
“From the feedback I’ve had, I think everyone thinks it’s only a good thing,” Auger-Aliassime told Eurosport. “My coach Frederic, the rest of the team, my family, and other coaches and players on the tour.
“Will it give me an advantage? We will see, but I think in the end, what happens on the court is most important and I still have to do the work – it’s not like having Toni automatically improves my performances or my ranking right away.”
This same point was exemplified in Monte Carlo, where in his first match with Toni Nadal as part of his coaching team, FAA lost to Cristian Garin 6-7 (3-7), 1-6. The 20-year-old did then defeat Lorenzo Musetti and compatriot Denis Shapovalov at the Barcelona Open before falling to eventual finalist Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals.
“It’s very early days, but so far we’ve been talking a lot about where we see my career heading, which is essentially to reach the highest levels and win the biggest tournaments,” the young Canadian added.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner