‘Every year we asked ourselves how long ‘The Big Three’ would keep winning everything’, says ATP star
Diego Schwartzman believes a changing of the guard is inevitable due to Roger Federer’s and Rafael Nadal’s injuries, but believes Novak Djokovic is still operating close to his best.
Neither Federer or Nadal reached a Major final in 2021 after missing majority of the season through injury, however Djokovic won three Major titles before being denied calendar Grand Slam in US Open final by Daniil Medvedev.
Schwartzman claimed it is ‘logical’ for their reign to come to an end, the 29-year-old believes it was ‘illogical’ how big three kept winning everything.
“It could be and it is logical that it will happen (end of the dominance of Djokovic, Federer and Nadal),” Schwartzman said. “Perhaps the illogical thing was that every year we asked ourselves how long they were going to keep on winning everything.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner