Elina Svitolina wins bronze medal to make history for Ukraine
Elina Svitolina has made history for Ukraine after becoming the first ever tennis player to win a medal for the Eastern European nation.
The world number six overcame Kazakh star Elena Rybakina 1-6 7-6(5) 6-4 in two hours and 28 minutes to clinch the bronze medal.
The Ukrainian was dismantled in the first set, winning just 19 of the 51 points on offer as Rybakina put one step on the podium.
The Kazakh star continued her form in the second set and raced into a 3-1 lead before Svitolina battled back to force a decider after winning a tightly contested tie-break.
In the final set, Svitolina trailed yet again as Rybakina stormed into a 4-1 lead, though two consecutive breaks from the 26-year-old saw her clinch bronze on her seventh match point.
— wta (@WTA) July 31, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner