Thiem makes history at US Open – Full list of achievements by tennis’ newest Grand Slam champion
Tennis has a new male Grand Slam champion in Dominic Thiem, and that is rare enough of an event these days to be celebrated.
However, if you were thinking the absence of the Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, as well as the freak disqualification of Novak Djokovic, somehow diminishes the Austrian’s achievement, you may want to think again.
Thiem was made to work incredibly hard to win the final against Alexander Zverev, and he has amassed an impressive array of accomplishments in New York, making him a true history-maker.
- Thiem has become the first man in the Open Era to win he US Open final from two sets to love down.
- He is just the fifth male player to win any Grand Slam after losing the first two sets in the final, with all the other four – Bjorn Borg, Ivan Lendl, Andre Agassi, and Gaston Gaudio – doing it at the French Open.
- Alexander Zverev had never lost a match from 2-0 up.
- Thiem is the first Austrian to win the US Open and just the second Austrian man – after Thomas Muster – to win any Grand Slam.
- He is now the youngest male Grand Slam champion in the world at 27, and the first man born in the 1990s to win a major title.
- Thiem has joined a small band of just eight active male Grand Slam champions. The other are – Roger Federer (20), Rafael Nadal (19), Novak Djokovic (17), Andy Murray (3), Stan Wawrinka (3), Marin Cilic (1), and Juan Martin del Potro (1).
Dominic Thiem also avoided joining just Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl on the list of players to lose their first four Grand Slam finals, although that would not exactly be bad company in which to find yourself.
He will now face a race against time to recover for the French Open, where he has been a defeated finalist in the last two years.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner