Dominic Thiem: ‘I dedicated my whole life to pursuit of Grand Slam title – now I have done it’
Dominic Thiem says his US Open win is the realisation of a life long dream in tennis, and one he has ‘dedicated his life to.’
Thiem somehow managed to overcome Alexander Zverev in an epic final on Arthur Ashe despite losing the first two sets, being a break down in the third, and the German serving for the match in the fifth.
However, he says that now he has achieved it, everything was worth the sacrifices.
“I achieved a life goal, a dream of myself, which I had for many, many years,” Dominic Thiem said of his US Open title.
“Of course, as a kid, as well, when I started to play tennis. But back then it’s so far away.
“Then I got closer and closer to the top. At one point I realised that, wow, maybe one day I can really win one of the four biggest titles in tennis.
🏆 mood pic.twitter.com/bIAxUltyCk
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) September 14, 2020
“I put a lot of work in. I mean, I dedicated basically my whole life until this point to win one of the four majors.
“Now I did it. That’s also for myself a great accomplishment.
“I mean, it’s by far not only myself, it’s an accomplishment from all my team, from all my family.
“I guess also today is the day where I gave back huge amount of what they did for me.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner