Dominic Thiem continues solid return to matchplay at Madrid Masters
Dominic Thiem keeps his run of matches going by defeating Alex de Minaur to reach the Madrid quarter-finals for a fourth time consecutively.
Dominic Thiem won out over Alex de Minaur in just under two hours and in straight sets, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4.
The win represents only Thiem’s seventh victory of 2021, having underperformed and skipped multiple tournaments so far this season.
But the Austrian seems as though the time off to recharge and recover has benefitted him, having defeated Marcos Giron and Alex de Minaur without dropping a set.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 6, 2021
Both Thiem and de Minaur had similar gameplay statistics in the match, while one difference maker could perhaps be the second serve return points won. Thiem took 16 of 27 points (59%) facing the Australian’s second serve, while de Minaur claimed 12 of 26 (46%).
Thiem has had good results in Madrid in the past, reaching the semi-finals in 2019 and being a finalist in 2018 and 2017
Dominic Thiem will next face either John Isner or Andrey Rublev in the last eight in Madrid.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner