‘I fell into a hole,’ says Dominic Thiem as he admits mental struggles
Dominic Thiem has admitted his recent mental struggles, saying he ‘fell into a hole’ before this season and he is unsure of the way out of it.
The world number four achieved a career dream last year, winning a Grand Slam when he beat Alexander Zverev in the final of the US Open.
Aside from a good showing at the ATP Finals in November, his have not gone well since, with disappointing early exits at the Australian Open, Doha, and Dubai.
And, speaking to Der Standard, Dominic Thiem has suggested he may ultimately have to take a prolonged absence from tennis after the coronavirus pandemic to redress the balance in his life.
“The problem with tennis is that it is so fast-moving and goes on week-after-week,” he said.
“After [the US Open] I was in a state of euphoria. The results were still good, I reached the final at the ATP Finals in London.
“But during the preparation for this season I fell into a hole. We’ll see if I can loosen up, I don’t know, I hope so.
“I spent 15 years chasing the big goal without looking to the left or the right. As I said, I achieved it.
“But that’s not so important to me. In a way, some things have fallen by the wayside. My private life, dealing with other things, broadening my horizons.
“You have to do something for your head, for your brain. There was only tennis. I want to change that a bit.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner