‘Novak Djokovic will have clean slate at US Open’, says former world number two
A two-time French Open runner-up believes Novak Djokovic will continue to win Grand Slam titles because he is “out of the ordinary”.
Former world number two Alex Corretja thinks Djokovic will have a “clean slate” at the US Open as his motivation will be “so great”, after his Olympic setback.
The Serbian is aiming to win a men’s singles record 21st Grand Slam title at the US Open – which begins on August 30 – to complete a 2021 Calendar Slam.
The world number one suffered disappointment by missing out on a medal at the Tokyo Olympics – with Alexander Zverev ending his 22-match winning streak in the last four.
“Now he (Djokovic) needs to rest and recover because he has [taken] a hit [at the Olympics]. New York is one month away and we will see if he plays any tournaments [before the US Open], but he has shown that mentally he is a rock,” the Spaniard told Radio Marca.
“The motivation to win the 21st [Grand Slam] for the record in September will be so great that it will make a clean slate. Djokovic will continue to win Grand Slams because he is out of the ordinary.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner