Djokovic ‘stands out’ in GOAT debate claims Murray
The two-time Wimbledon champion believes that the accomplishments of Djokovic are unique in the discussion for the greatest player ever.
Andy Murray noted the world No. 1’s achievements as being particularly special.
“None of their careers have finished yet,” Murray first explained to reporters. “Obviously we’ll have to wait and see what happens.
“For me, the fact that [Djokovic] has won every Masters 1000 twice, and every Slam twice as well, that obviously stands out as where you could make that argument [that he is the best ever]. That is incredible what he’s done.
“And then with Rafa [Nadal], on clay he’s won 13 French Opens. You know, that’s the most that anyone’s won at a single Slam. That’s incredible.”
The next best tally at a single Grand Slam tournament is Margaret Court’s 11 Australian Open titles, followed by Martina Navratilova and Novak Djokovic on nine Wimbledon titles and Australian Open titles respectively.
“Then with Roger [Federer], he’s been doing it over multiple generations now,” Murray continued. “He’s still able to compete at the highest level.
“He’s 39 years old and his record and results on grass are unmatched. So, I’m not that fussed on who is the best.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner