Djokovic splits with coaching team
In what he described as “shock therapy”, Djokovic announced that he had parted company with coach Marian Vajda (pictured above right), fitness coach Gebhard Gritsch (above centre) and physiotherapist Miljan Amanovic (above left).
A statement on Djokovic’s website confirmed that the Serb “felt he needed to make a change and to introduce new energy in order to raise his level of play”. The Serb is 14-4 this season and all four defeats have come to players ranked outside the Top 10.
“I am forever grateful to Marian, GG and Miljan for decade of friendship, professionalism and commitment to my career goals,” said Djokovic. “Without their support I couldn’t have achieved these professional heights. I know they completely dedicated themselves and their lives to help me achieve my dreams and they were always my driving force and wind in my back.
“It was not an easy decision, but we all felt that we need a change. I am very grateful and proud of our relationship and unbreakable bond that we built through years of mutual love, respect and understanding. They are my family and that will never change.”
He added: “I want to continue raising the level of my game and stamina and this is a continuous process. I enjoy this journey, it feels like I am starting something new again and I love this challenge. I am a hunter and my biggest goal is to find the winning spark on the court again.”
Djokovic said he would not rush into appointing a replacement for Vajda and would take his time to find the right person, and for now he will tour alone with the support of his family and management.
“I feel like this is a new chapter in my life,” he said. “My career was always on the upward path and this time I’m experiencing how it is when the path takes you in a different direction. I want to find a way to come back to the top stronger and more resilient.
“I have so much faith in this process and that’s why I will take time to find the right person who I can connect with professionally. I have been on the tour long enough to know how to manage daily routines and I don’t want to rush my decision.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner