Djokovic secures sixth Wimbledon crown to equal Federer and Nadal
Novak Djokovic claimed a third consecutive Wimbledon, drawing level with his contemporaries on a men’s record for Grand Slam titles.
The Serb held off the challenge of world No. 9 Matteo Berrettini to make history as only the third male player to win 20 Grand Slam singles titles.
With the feat, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all now sit on 20 Grand Slams each, incredible considering that all three men are still active on the tour.
The task was not easy for the world No. 1, as Berrettini showed grit to fight a proper battle.
Despite going 5-2 up in the opener and serving for the set at 5-3, Djokovic was unable to close it out as the Italian stormed back, eventually sealing the set with an ace in the tiebreak, 7-4.
But the (now) six-time champion knuckled down to respond immediately, racing into a 4-0 lead with a double break in the second.
Berrettini still made some excellent plays, including this ridiculous tweener lob.
That rally 😍
That last shot from Matteo Berrettini 🔥
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 11, 2021
Even after the Italian claimed back a break, Djokovic closed out the set to level it. He claimed another early break in the third at 1-1 before the set continued on serve for the Serb to win it 6-4, one set from the title.
At 3-3 in the fourth, Berrettini double faulted on break point down to give Djokovic the advantage.
The Serb held and broke again to win a sixth Wimbledon title, a decade after his first in 2011, with a final score of 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner