‘Djokovic is amazing and has proven he is even tougher mentally than we thought,’ says top analyst
Former French Open finalist Alex Corretja says Novak Djokovic has proven he is ‘much tougher mentally than we even thought.’
Djokovic returned from his disqualification at the US Open to win the Rome Masters in impressive fashion, and will be well-fancied to win the French Open too.
It came after the Serbian star was at the centre of a major media storm prompted by events at Flushing Meadows, and Corretja is incredibly impressed.
“I am absolutely amazed at what he did [in Rome],” said Eurosport expert Corretja.
“What happened in New York, he was absolutely in an unfortunate situation and dealing with everything he’s been through, understanding that he lost an unbelievable chance to keep on adding Slams, going back to Europe and preparing to play on clay in just a few days and be capable to win in Rome.
“It’s something that shows that Djokovic is much tougher mentally than we even thought. It’s big what he did, very big. I really feel it was.
“I wasn’t sure how he was going to react after what happened in New York.
“When he finished in New York, probably he just wanted to dig down in a big hole and disappear from life but after he took hours or a couple of days, here we are. It’s unbelievable, unbelievable, all the credit to him.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner