Novak Djokovic was ‘never truly tested at Wimbledon,’ says renowned coach
A sixth Wimbledon title for Novak Djokovic came without too much difficulty according to this respected figure on tour.
The world No. 1 secured his 20th Grand Slam title with victory over Matteo Berrettini in the final of The Championships, winning in four sets.
In fact, over the course of the tournament, Djokovic only dropped two sets, one in each of his first and last matches.
His coach of 15 years, Marian Vajda, was quite frank about the matter.
“I feel that nobody tested Novak [Djokovic] to the highest point,” the coach said in a recent interview. “For the final, I told my family that there were going to be four sets and one tie break – my prediction was good.
“Novak plays intelligent grass court tennis and he has the most experience; he has been excelling on grass for years, which was a big advantage against Berrettini.
“For Matteo it was really difficult – in his first Slam final, the opponent was Novak at Wimbledon.”
Djokovic has now won six of the last ten Wimbledon titles, including three consecutively in 2018, 2019 and 2021.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner