Djokovic makes unusual move to prepare for Wimbledon defence
Novak Djokovic will defend his fifth Wimbledon title and looking to claim three on the bounce, but he is breaking with habit with this decision.
It has been announced that Djokovic will take part in the doubles at the inaugural Mallorca Championships in the week prior to Wimbledon/
“The world No. 1 has received an invitation to play the doubles,” the event revealed on their official Twitter.
— Mallorca Championships (@MallorcaChamps) June 15, 2021
The world No. 1 famously rarely plays grass warm-up tournaments prior to The Championships, but has decided to do so this year.
The Serb did play Eastbourne in 2017, winning the event, before falling in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon. The following year, Djokovic played Queen’s, reaching the final but losing to Marin Cilic, before going on to secure his fourth Wimbledon title over Kevin Anderson.
The Mallorca Championships will be held from 19 – 26 June and is the first grass tournament to be held in Spain.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner