‘It was always troubling him’ – Djokovic identifies key to Shapovalov improvement
Novak Djokovic has analysed Denis Shapovalov’s game and believes there is an important factor behind the Canadian’s progress.
The Serbian thinks the 22-year-old’s improved movement has allowed him to cut down on errors – an area that he feels “was always troubling him”.
The world No. 1 will face Shapovalov in the Wimbledon semi-finals on Friday – after the world No. 12 triumphed in five sets over Karen Khachanov in the last eight.
It is the 10th time Djokovic has reached the last four at Wimbledon, while it will be his opponent’s first major semi-final.
“It seems like he is maturing, which is also something that is normal, it’s logical. You would expect that from a player like him that has really an all-round game,” the 34-year-old said in his press conference.
“Huge serve, leftie – which is always tricky to play someone who is left-handed on the quick surfaces. He’s comfortable coming into the net and I think his movement has improved.
“Due to better movement, [he is] probably making less errors – which was probably the part of his game that was always troubling him.
“You don’t get too many opportunities on his service games, especially here on grass. I’ve seen him here against [Andy] Murray, he’s really feeling great. It’s impressive the way he’s been playing.
“Probably the ball gets to him on grass, it doesn’t bounce as much so he can swing through the ball. I think backhand was also working really well [from] what I saw today [against Khachanov], [in] some important moments.”
Djokovic holds a 6-0 head-to-head advantage over Shapovalov.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner