Djokovic is ‘heavy favourite’ declares Wimbledon legend ahead of The Championships
An all-time great of Wimbledon has backed Novak Djokovic to secure a 6th title and 20th Grand Slam at this year’s Championships.
9-time Wimbledon men’s doubles champion Todd Woodbridge believes that few can challenge the world No. 1 in his quest to equal Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal’s Slam tallies, secure the Calendar Slam and Olympic gold.
“The Golden Slam – it is very much on the cards, there is no doubt about that,” the Australian told Sports Sunday.
“What Novak managed to produce in Paris, in two comebacks from two sets to love down, is some of the best mental stuff you’ll ever see.”
Djokovic defeated both Lorenzo Musetti and Stefanos Tsitsipas from a two sets to love deficit, as well as conquering Rafael Nadal for the second time at Roland Garros in an epic for the ages.
“Now, he does get a bit gnarly at times on court but he’s an athlete that’s able to focus that into what he needs to do to get the result done,” Woodbridge continued.
“That final, to come back against [Stefanos] Tsitsipas, fantastic effort from him. And he’s just freshening up, he’s down in Mallorca on grass courts getting ready as his preparation for Wimbledon.
“He most definitely goes in a heavy, heavy favourite for Wimbledon.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner