‘I don’t want to be compared to anybody’, says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic has spoken of history being on the line at the Tokyo Olympics, but insisted there is “still a very long way to a potential historic achievement”.
The world number one asserted that he does not want “to be part of the debate” or to be “compared to anybody” as he chases a Golden Calendar Slam.
The 34-year-old is bidding to become only the second player after the legendary Steffi Graf to win all four Grand Slams and an Olympic gold medal in the same year.
Djokovic won his opening match at the Tokyo Games against Bolivia’s Hugo Dellien, and will face Jan-Lennard Struff in the second round.
“I don’t want to be part of the debate. I don’t want to be compared to anybody. It’s still a very long way to a potential historic achievement,” the Serbian said in a press conference.
“I know that there is a lot of things on the line. I know there’s history on the line. I’m privileged and motivated to be in this position. I’ve worked very hard to be here. But let’s talk about history if everything goes great here. Right now all focus goes to the next challenge.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner