Djokovic completes Grand Slam at Roland Garros
Djokovic came from a set down to win 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-4 to win the French Open for the first time in his career to become only the eighth man in history to win all four majors.
In winning his 12th Grand Slam title, the Serb has also became the first player since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four majors at the same time.
“It’s a very special moment, the biggest of my career,” said Djokovic. “I felt today something that I never felt before at Roland Garros, I felt the love of the crowd.”
Murray threatened to foil the three-time finalist’s Grand Slam bid as he took the opening set on Court Philippe Chatrier. However, the Scot was unable to convert a break point early in the second to cement his advantage, and Djokovic took control before converting his fourth match point and falling back onto the clay in celebration.
“To Novak, this is his day,” Murray said. “What he’s achieved in the last 12 months is phenomenal; winning all four Grand Slams at once is an amazing achievement. This is something that is so rare in tennis. For me personally, it sucks to lose the match, but I’m proud to be part of it today.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner