‘At least 70-80 players think they can beat Novak Djokovic’, says Slam legend
A seven-time Grand Slam champion thinks “at least 70-80” players will believe they have a chance of beating Novak Djokovic at the 2021 US Open.
Mats Wilander expects that more players will feel they can upset the world number one after he missed out on a medal at the Tokyo Olympics last month.
Djokovic saw his 22-match winning streak ended with a three-set defeat to eventual gold medallist Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals of the Games.
The 34-year-old Serbian was then denied a bronze medal in Tokyo as he lost in three close sets to Pablo Carreno Busta, and has not played since.
“Out of the other 127 players in the [US Open] draw, I think now you’re seeing at least 70-80 players who think they have a chance of beating Novak Djokovic [due to what happened at the Olympics],” the Swede told Punto de Break.
“But I don’t think that makes a big difference to him. For him it is just a tennis match. However, the rest of the players have a chance against him.”
Djokovic begins his bid to complete a Calendar Grand Slam at the US Open with an opening round contest against Holger Rune on Tuesday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner