Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray share ‘great practice’ ahead of Tokyo Olympics
Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray took to the courts of the Ariake Tennis Park ahead of their bids to secure gold for their nations.
With Olympic tennis just around the corner, the two greats took the opportunity to practise together and find their feet in Tokyo.
“Thanks for a great practice Andy (Murray),” Djokovic tweeted to his fans. “Kon’nichiwa Tokyo! (Hello Tokyo!)”
Perhaps surprisingly, the Olympics is a realm where Murray has the better track record than Djokovic, with back-to-back gold medals at London 2012 and Rio 2016, plus a mixed doubles silver alongside Laura Robson in 2012.
Meanwhile, Djokovic has a bronze medal from Beijing 2008 to his name, and will be looking to add gold in Tokyo on his quest for the ‘Golden Slam’ of the four Majors plus the Olympics in a calendar year.
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) July 23, 2021
Murray will be off to a tough start against ninth-seeded Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, while Djokovic face Bolivian Hugo Dellien in the first round, ranked world No. 139.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner