Del Potro marches on in Washington
Juan Martin Del Potro moved into the last eight of the Legg Mason Classic in Washington on Wednesday with his 16th successive victory.
The world No.19 from Argentina recovered from a second set wobble to beat Israeli Dudi Sela 6-0, 5-7, 6-2.
Juan Martin Del Potro has now played 16 matches without defeat having won three successive titles in Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel on clay and in Los Angles last week where he captured his first hard court trophy.
Second seed Del Potro will get a taste of his own medicine in the last eight, though, when he plays 6ft 9 American John Isner.
Read about the ten tallest men in the top 100
Wild card Isner clobbered down 17 aces on his way to beating compatriot Donald Young 6-4, 7-6 to book his quarter-final place.
Other winners on day four of the $508,000 hard court event were German fourth seed Tommy Haas, who took out Frenchman Nicolas Mahut 7-6, 6-3.
“I’m happy to have finally beaten him,” said Haas.
“I had lost to him in the two previous times we played and today I feel like I played a good match.
I was mad after getting broken when serving for the set at 5-3, when I hit three double faults, but then I was able to win the set in the tie-break.
I feel I’m playing very solid from the back and when I put my serve in I know I can win most of the points.”
Haas will face Alejandro Falla for a place in the semis after the Colombian beat another Frenchman, Florent Serra, 7-6, 7-6.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner