Coronavirus concerns prompts ATP, WTA, and ITF to extend tennis lockdown until June
The European clay season has essentially been wiped out as the ATP, WTA, and ITF jointly announced a second spate of coronavirus cancellations.
Tennis’ governing bodies initially responded independently when the coronavorus outbreak worsened earlier this month, both cancelling the subsequent six weeks or so of scheduled tournaments.
However, as the crisis continues to grip the globe, they have all confirmed there will now be no tennis until June 7 – at the earliest. The WTA and APT rankings will also be frozen until further notice.
“After careful consideration and due to the continuing outbreak of Covid-19, all ATP and WTA tournaments in the spring clay-court swing will not be held as scheduled.
“This includes the combined ATP/WTA tournaments in Madrid and Rome, along with the WTA events in Strasbourg and Rabat and ATP events in Munich, Estoril, Geneva and Lyon.
“The professional tennis season is now suspended through 7 June 2020, including the ATP Challenger Tour and ITF World Tennis Tour. At this time, tournaments taking place from 8 June 2020 onward are still planning to go ahead as per the published schedule.
“In parallel, the FedEx ATP Rankings and WTA Rankings will be frozen throughout this period and until further notice.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner