‘Comparisons to Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer have held me back,’ says Next Gen ace
Borna Coric says that ‘unrealistic’ expectations borne of comparisons to Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic have hindered his career.
Coric, at 23, is still very much a part of the Next Gen, but he was heavily touted as something special when he beat Rafael Nadal as a 1-year-old in Basel.
The predicted success has failed to follow, though, with a career-high ranking of 12.
And, in an interview with Tennis Majors, he said that while he never felt any external pressure, his own expectations got out of hand.
“I haven’t felt any additional pressure, I am being honest here,” Coric said.
“The only pressure I feel is when I look at myself in the mirror, I need to know that I have done everything in my power to be the best that I can be.
“But still, you get used to hearing that you are the best, that you are the next Novak Djokovic or the next Roger Federer.
“Then my expectations have become unrealistic thinking I was going to be top 10 quickly, but it doesn’t work that way.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner