‘Come on, the guy’s unbelievable,’ Alexander Bublik ready for battle with Jannik Sinner
Alexander Bublik has praised next-gen Italian Jannik Sinner ahead of their quarter-final matchup at the Miami Open.
The Kazakh came from a set down against Taylor Fritz to triumph 6-7 6-3 6-4 and secure a quarter-final meeting with teenager Jannik Sinner.
‘It’s a great achievement, it’s the first time for me,’ Bublik said following his face-off with Fritz. ‘I was the lucky one to get the win today and I’m very happy with it.’
Bublik will next face Jannik Sinner in a novel milestone for both men, as it will be a first Masters 1000 quarter-final each.
Both players are personally on an excellent run of form, with Jannik Sinner at a career-high ranking of 31. Alexander Bublik is just one spot off his own career-high of 43, registered at the beginning of March.
‘I mean, come on, the guy is so young, he’s an unbelievable athlete,’ Bublik said when asked of his next opponent. ‘He can run forever, he’s an unbelievable player.
‘Sharing a quarter-final with him will be a pleasure for me.
‘I just hope I can have a great match.’
The pair have only met once before, earlier in March in fact, in the Round of 32 at the Dubai Tennis Championships. Jannik Sinner got the better of Bublik in three sets there, 2-6 7-6 6-4.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner