‘Clinching year-end world number one affected me,’ admits Novak Djokovic after Vienna shocker
Novak Djokovic has admitted that motivation was a problem for him in his surprise defeat to Lorenzo Sonego in Vienna.
The Serbian put in arguably the most lacklustre performance of his career before sinking to a 6-2, 6-1 quarter-final defeat.
It was his first ever loss to a lucky loser, but he had already won the two matches he needed to clinch the year-end world number one spot, and he says that played a major part in his performance.
“Yes, clinching the [year-end] number one had an effect on me today,” Djokovic admitted.
“I’ve done what I came here for, securing the number one. And I move completely fine with today’s result.
“I’m healthy and looking forward to a strong finish in London.”
Djokovic will be crowned year-end world number one if Rafael Nadal does not take a wildcard for Sofia, although he has already confirmed he has no intention to do that.
Even if Nadal makes a late decision to play Sofia, it would still require a highly unlikely set of circumstances to stop Djokovic taking a record-equalling sixth year-end number one.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner