Carlos Alcaraz gives positive fitness update ahead of Australian Open
Carlos Alcaraz says he is ‘almost 100 percent’ again following his abdominal injury earlier this year.
The Spanish teenager had an incredible breakthrough year as he became the youngest world number one in history.
He was also able to claim a maiden major as he beat Casper Ruud in the final of the US Open in September.
The season did not end in a positive way, though, as he was forced to retire from the Paris Masters with an abdominal injury that also kept him out of the ATP Finals and the David Cup.
He was back in action at the Mubadala World Tennis Championships this week, and he has given a positive fitness update.
“I feel good finally,” the world number one said after losing 6-1, 6-4 to Ruud in the third-place play-off. “I had a month to recover well the ab and right now I feel almost 100 percent. I have been training normally this past week and I’m feeling great.
“Of course having a target on my back from everyone is going to be a little bit different for me this year and I have to be prepared for that.
“I’m going to try to finish 2023 at the same position as right now. It’s going to be a long year but of course I’m going to enjoy.”
Carlos Alcaraz will start a major as the top seed for the first time at the Australian Open, which is due to start on January 16.
Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
Read >> World’s best tennis magazine