Carla Suarez Navarro will play French Open after cancer recovery
Carla Suarez Navarro will play at the French Open in her first match since announcing she is in remission from cancer.
The French Open will see the return of Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro after the WTA star announced her recovery from Hodgkin lymphoma in April.
“It makes me tremendously excited to be able to participate in Roland Garros,” a statement released by the Spanish tennis federation read.
“I have been working these last few months to give myself the opportunity to compete one last time in Paris.
“I am looking forward to jumping on to the court and feeling again how special this tournament has always been for me.”
Suarez Navarro is currently ranked at 118 in the world and last competed at the French Open in 2019, with her best results at the Slam coming in 2008 and 2014 when she reached the quarter-finals each time.
Another step forward. Today I finished my treatment and overcame Hodgkin lymphoma.
Thanks to all for your warm messages. Every word of support gave me strength during the past few months. ❤️
All my gratitude to healthcare professionals who take care of us every day. I’M CURED! pic.twitter.com/kF3HwHPh0y
— Carla Suárez Navarro (@CarlaSuarezNava) April 22, 2021
Before the pandemic and her cancer diagnosis, the Spaniard previously expressed her desire for 2020 to be her final season on tour, but decided to return in order to enjoy a proper goodbye.
“Tennis has given me many things and I have always wanted to say goodbye on a court,” Suarez Navarro continued.
“Roland Garros has given me some of the best moments of my career. My first great result was produced on these courts, I have very good memories after all these years and it is a joy to be able to come for the last time to compete in Paris.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner