Bianca Andreescu ‘super emotional’ in Montreal return
Bianca Andreescu took to the courts of Montreal for the first time as a professional, beginning the defence of her 2019 title in Toronto.
The Canadian world number eight has had a quite tumultuous 2021 season so far, and will be looking to get herself back on track on home soil.
Andreescu did so, but not without difficulty, overcoming British challenger Harriet Dart 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, and
“I had all the feels,” the 21-year-old said of her match experience. “It was super emotional at the end. I got goosebumps walking on the court.
“Having the crowd cheer so long, it’s just a crazy feeling. I’m so happy the tournament was able to be played.”
Andreescu is the second seed at the tournament behind Aryna Sabalenka, and will have high expectations on her as champion from the last holding in 2019.
“There’s always going to be pressure,” Andreescu said on the matter. “But I really use it to my advantage, especially here at home.
“Having that crowd support really helps me. Win or lose, I know they’re always going to have my back, so that definitely relieves a lot of pressure.”
The Canadian will face either Ons Jabeur or Daria Kasatkina next in the round of 16.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner