Matteo Berrettini ‘felt cursed’ after Wimbledon withdrawal
Matteo Berrettini has explained his feelings on his Covid-enforced Wimbledon exit after being touted as one of the favourites.
The 2021 Wimbledon finalist came into the Slam off the back of consecutive grass at Stuttgart and Queen’s, where he defended his crown.
But then, after experiencing symptoms, Berrettini returned a positive Covid test result forcing him to withdraw ahead of his first round match with Cristian Garin, describing himself at the time as ‘heartbroken’.
“It was absurd,” Berrettini told Italian press recently. “My team tried not to look too sad, at one point I clung to the hope that I had been positive before and that I could be negative on Tuesday for the match with Garin.
“But this did not happen. At one point we said to ourselves there is something or someone who is cursing us.
“But I’ve always tried to look on the bright side. I tried to leave London with the memory of Queen’s and not of Wimbledon.”
View this post on Instagram
After resting and recovering from his infection, Berrettini now returns to the tour at the ATP 250 Gstaad Open in Switzerland, the site of his first tour level title back in July 2018.
Berrettini said from Gstaad: “Compared to then, the place is exactly the same, the ball is traveling as it did four years ago.
“But I am a different person, I do not say better or worse, but evolved. Then I discovered myself game after game, now I have a more important database, more experience and I know better what I will face.”
The world number 15 is the second seed at the ATP 250 event behind French Open finalist Casper Ruud and will face Richard Gasquet in his first match in the round of 16.
🎾 Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
🎾 Join >> Receive $700/£600 of tennis gear from the Tennishead CLUB
🎾 Social >> Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV
🎾 Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted partner