Australian Open to allow up to 30,000 fans to attend Melbourne Park
Victoria’s sports minister has announced up to 30,000 fans a day will be allowed to attend the Australian Open.
Martin Pakula announced on Saturday morning that crowds would be at approximately 50 per cent of previous years, with 390,000 people expected to attend the Australian Open over the two weeks.
The 30,000 figure will be reduced to 25,000 per day from the start of the quarter-finals, with 12,500 during the day session and 12,500 during the night sessions.
The daily limit will see the average attendance from recent Australian Opens halved, but still provides a huge boost for players, organisers, and fans after the 2020 calendar was played almost exclusively without fans following last year’s edition.
Pakula said: “Rod Laver Arena will have incredible atmosphere, not that different to the atmosphere we’ve seen at all the Opens in the years past.
“It will not be the same but it will be the most significant international event with crowds that the world has seen in many, many months.
“That’s a testament to the work Victorians have done to get our [coronavirus] numbers to zero.”
Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley said it would ‘set an example’ to the rest of the world and cement Melbourne’s place as the international sporting capital.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner